Betty Crocker Wannabe has MOVED! I am now blogging solely at A Simply Klassic Home. I am still sharing printables, party ideas, and other inspiration. It's much more streamlined and clean. I hope you will stop by and say follow along there! I have lots of ideas for new printables coming this holiday season!!

Saturday, November 20, 2010

I Was a Dollar Store Snob

My name is Kristin, and I am a Dollar Store snob. Or I was, at least, until I started blogging.

I have found such great inspiration on so many blogs with items found at the Goodwill or purchased at the Dollar Store, that I have turned my loathing of the Dollar Tree into love. Well, "like" at least...I'm still in recovery.

***WARNING, if you are one of those people who do not believe in putting up your Christmas decorations before Thanksgiving, please avert your eyes.***

I am aiming to have a simpler Christmas this year, with decorations as well as gifts. I would also like to have a little bit of Christmas in the majority of the rooms in our house. I have a very small budget this year, so I'm spreading out decor I already have or re-purposing items I have on hand.

 (looking at the photo, I should probably have taken the pictures down, but I was too lazy to go back and shoot more photos)

When I saw this sweet little tinsel tree in the Dollar Spot at Target, I knew exactly what I would do with it.


I fluffed it up, and straightened the branches. I place it in a burlap covered flower pot (stuffed some newspaper on the bottom), and covered the styrofoam with a little shredded brown crinkle paper and some silver tinsel. For the finishing touch, I tied a red gingham ribbon around the pot.


They also had tubes of ornaments for a dollar. I bought seven tubes, in various sizes and textures, and used three and a half of them here in a glass vase.


I read a post on The Inspired Room the other day about decorating with mason jars. I love mason jars, and this is something I've been wanting to do.


I filled the jars with Epsom salt and stuck a votive candle in - instant sparkle! I wanted to tie something around the jars, but haven't yet decided what that should be...ribbon, or twine, or just leave them as is...what do you think?


I created the "Peace on Earth" banner in Photoshop. I have a Joy to the World version that will be displayed on my mantle.


So there it is, a little bit of Christmas decor on the cheap.

  (He reeeeally wanted to be in a picture. He does make a great model, doesn't he?)


Cost breakdown:
Tinsel tree: $2.50 at Target
Ornaments: $1 a tube at Target
Flower pot with burlap: on hand
Ribbon: leftover from the Grandma-to-be-Party
Epsom salt: $3 for a large bag
Votives: 50 cents a piece
Banner: made by me in Photoshop

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...

I have an awesome, cheap, and easy gift idea coming this week. Can you guess what it is?

32 comments:

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

Your son is such a cutie!! I am loving all of your red and silver Christmas decor. It looks great!

NorCalMom said...

Looks great! Love your model. Thanks for sharing your ideas.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, your son is adorable. And I love your deco!!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, your son is adorable. And I love your deco!!

Anonymous said...

I say leave the jars as they are...no ribbon. What could you be doing with root beer bottles. I will be thinking about this all night now.

GretchenP said...

lol.. i agree with you 100% on the dollar store/spot! i used to completely avoid it thinking.. who needs that cheap junk?? now i avoid it as to not BUY too much 'junk' :) i think twine would complement the burlap. :) are you making reindeer with bottles?? great blog! keep up good work!

Beth Adams said...

Not to worry over your feelings for the Dollar Stores & Thrift Stores. You have a large support group here is blogger land. We are here for you Girl! Love your Christmas stuff! That son of yours is a cutie!
http://wiccanmakesometoo.blogspot.com/

Ava said...

I really like the Mason jars and would have never thought to fill them like that

I awarded you stylish blogger award

www.retrohousewiferemix.blogspot.com

Lydia said...

I am loving the mason jars and epsom salt! Stealing that idea…how cute! :)

Sami said...

I may end up being an idea thief. I love the candles in the epsom salt. I will also be visiting my Target's dollar spot real soon. :)

cindy said...

Love that banner, and I'm an epsom salt freak at Christmas...last year I sprinkled the stuff on a bunch of those little dollar store bird houses after I painted them white, then covers some mache ornaments with it, then did votives very similar to yours, then....um, oh yeah poured it in apothecary jars to display peppermint candy sticks. Yeah, I pretty much love that stuff. :)

Your son is a cutie-patootie!

Melinda said...

Beautiful! I am also wanting to go with more simple decorations this year - thanks for the ideas!

Gwen @ Gwenny Penny said...

Love that little tinsel tree!!! How have I missed those at Target?! And that "Peace on Earth" banner is gorgeous... Nice work!

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

Looks great! Especially the model!

Rachel said...

I put up my decorations on Saturday! Glad I'm not alone! I need to take pictures and post them!!

Your model is so adorable!!!

:)
Rach

{ProtoDoom} said...

Love the Epsom salt idea!

If you want to add some color to the salt, all you have to take a little bit (seriously, little bitty bit) of food coloring and salt in a plastic bag. Shake shake shake!

KimMalk said...

Very cute. You really dressed up the tree. I really like the idea of epsom salt.

Amanda Lee said...

So cute! I love the vignette you created. You really transformed the little silver tree with the burlap covered pot and ribbon!

Unknown said...

This is so classy...I love it! I am hitting up target for some of those ornaments for sure!

Stacie said...

Love using epsom salt for candles at Christmas and all throughout winter! And I bet I know exactly what you have planned for that 6-pack and it is too cute!

HALLELUJAHS BY HOLLY said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
HALLELUJAHS BY HOLLY said...

Love it! So fun. Thank you for sharing your creativity and being an inspiration to me. Looks like we have a little something in common...a sweet little buddy named Cooper!

I awarded you on my blog today!
Blessings,
Holly
http://hallelujahsbyholly.blogspot.com/2010/11/and-stylish-blogger-award-goes-to.html

Simply Bungalow said...

Love all the decor. Great ideas. Thanks for the inspiration.
~Heidi

Allison @ House of Hepworths said...

I LOVE decorating with ornament balls!


~Allison @ House of Hepworths

DanielleisNesting said...

I was a dollar store snob too! I love the banner and the Epsom salt! Consider me inspired and a new loyal follower!

Unknown said...

These are such a great project! You've given me inspiration for our christmas decorating this year. I love your Christmas table decorations (the candles and baubles) they may be simple but it turned out really stunning. Thanks for sharing.

Aashivya said...

Interesting article..Thanks for sharing
Mobile App Services in Delhi NCR
Web Development Company in Delhi NCR

Aden said...

Looking for best tax services and want to register to your new company..
Private Limited Company Registration in India

ashish kumar said...

Look very preety. Very nice captures...
Thanks for sharing
For any help in Best Website Designing company Delhi
Check here

Unknown said...

Interesting article..Thanks for sharing.
Home Decor Services in Delhi NCR

pediaglobe said...

Thanks for sharing this wonderful blog. This is very beneficial article for us. I really appreciate if you are looking for more interesting blogs click here Pedia Globe - free blog reading sites

Printer Online Support said...

Thanks for sharing this amazing blog. This is very beneficial article for us. I really appreciate if you are looking for more interesting blogs.
We are providing Best Printer Services in USA Check Our Website Printer Onsite Support